June 13, 2022 – Council authorized a Stipulated Price Contract for $1,224,316 + GST with Chandos Construction Ltd. for construction of Phase 1 Upgrades to the Snug Cove Wastewater Treatment Plant. The funding strategy for the project was revised accordingly, and Council directed staff to report back confirming details on the increased budget.
- Read the staff report
About the Project
The Snug Cove Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) is located on Dorman Road and serves about 110 sewer connections throughout the sewer collection area, which includes the central village of Snug Cove where most commercial and public services on the island are offered. Engineering analyses and operational experience have determined that the sewer plant is at capacity and is in need of upgrades to accommodate recent and planned connections to the system. Since March 2020, Bowen Island Municipality has been working with Urban Systems to complete system evaluations, capacity assessments, growth projections, environmental studies, regulatory reviews, planning and design for WWTP upgrades.
The primary limitation of the WWTP is the capacity to handle the peak day flows, which typically occur during the winter, coinciding with high rainfall events.
This capital upgrade project will be approached in two phases.
Phase 1 is currently underway, and will provide additional equalization capacity to allow the existing treatment system to function, in the near term, without spills until more bioreactor capacity is added in the next phase. Phase 1 upgrades will accommodate development that has been recently completed or is currently in progress.
The cost to complete Phase 1 is $1,224,316, and is funded from the Capital Renewal and Replacement Reserve and Unappropriated Surplus.
The costs of the upgrade are being shared among users of the system, and all Island taxpayers generally. The costs of the upgrade that are assigned directly to Sewer users will be paid for by a parcel tax on properties connected to the sewer. The costs of the upgrade that are assigned to all Island Taxpayers are those that are being linked to Council’s strategic priorities, and will be paid for from general fund reserves.
The table below shows the allocation of project costs between Sewer Users and all Island Taxpayers. Please note, this table will be updated following the budget increase approved by Council on June 13, 2022 (see Project Updates, above).
June 13, 2022 Regular Council Meeting
January 24, 2022 Committee of the Whole
- WWTP Upgrades_Update and Next Steps_PGraham_FINAL
- Attachment #1 – Tech Memo_Flows and Loads Update
- Attachment #2 – Class D Cost Estimates for Proposed WWTP Upgrades
- Attachment #3 – Pre-design Drawings for Proposed WWTP Upgrades
- Attachment #4 – Expected Growth in Snug Cove Sewer Area
- Attachment #5 – Proposed Property Aquisition for Phase 2 WWTP Expansion
- Attachment #6 – CoW presentation_WWTP Upgrades_Jan24,2022
January 31, 2022 Special Council Meeting
- 220131_WWTP Phase 1 Upgrades Update and Next Steps PGraham_FINAL
- Attachment #1 – Expected Growth to be Accommodated by WWTP Upgrades
- Attachment #2 – 60% Design Drawings_Phase 1 WWTP Upgrades
- Attachment #3 – Draft RFP for Construction Management_Phase 1 WWTP Upgrades
- Attachment #4 – 2022-01-28 Equalization Tank Size Update – Final
March 14, 2022 Regular Council Meeting
March 28, 2022 Regular Council Meeting
April 25, 2022 Regular Council Meeting