Where, when and how you can vote in the Community Centre referendum
Are you eligible to vote?
In order to be eligible to vote on Bowen Island as a resident or non-resident property elector, a person must:
- Be 18 years of age or older when they register to vote, or 18 years or older on general voting day,
- Be a Canadian citizen,
- Have been a resident of B. C. for at least six months before they register to vote,
- Have either lived or owned property in the jurisdiction in which they intend to vote for at least 30 days before they register to vote, and
- Not be disqualified under the Local Government Act, or any other enactment, or by law from voting in a local election
Voting rights are granted to citizens based on residency or property ownership. There is no corporate or business vote in the referendum.
Where and when you can vote
There are two in-person opportunities to vote in the referendum. COVID safety protocols will be in place, so please bring your mask and allow extra time for voting. You can save time on voting days by registering in advance.
Advanced Voting Day Wednesday, September 2, 2020 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM Bowen Island Municipal Hall 981 Artisan Lane, Bowen Island, BC Read the COVID-19 Safety Plan
General Voting Day Saturday, September 12, 2020 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM Bowen Island Community School 1041 Mt Gardner Rd, Bowen Island, BC Read the COVID-19 Safety Plan
How to vote by mail ballot
Mail ballot packages are available from Municipal Hall (contact information below). You can vote by mail if you:
- Feel more comfortable voting this way because of COVID-19;
- Have a physical disability, illness or injury that affects your ability to vote at another voting opportunity; OR
- Expect to be absent on General Voting Day and on Advanced Voting Day.
If any of the above apply, please complete an Application to Vote by Mail Ballot and submit it no later than 4:00 PM on Friday, September 11, 2020, to Bowen Island Municipality by hand, mail, fax, or email to:
Bowen Island Municipality Attention Chief Election Officer 981 Artisan Lane, Bowen Island, BC V0N 1G2 Fax: 604-947-0193 Email: Referendum2020@bimbc.ca
To be counted, your mail ballot must be received by the Chief Election Officer no later than 8:00 PM on Saturday, September 12, 2020 (General Voting Day).
Voting as a Non-Resident Property Elector?
- Check eligibility requirements to register as a Non-Resident Property Elector (NRPE).
- Complete the Application for registration as a non-resident property elector.
- If applicable, complete the Consent of registered owners for non-resident property elector registration
- Return completed form via email to Referendum2020@bimbc.ca or in person at Municipal Hall during regular business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.