Fire Danger Rating
The Fire Chief updates the Fire Danger Rating notice board in Snug Cove as conditions change. Please check Alerts and Advisories for the current fire danger rating.
What the danger class ratings mean
Low: Fires may start easily and spread quickly but there will be minimal involvement of deeper fuel layers or larger fuels.
Moderate: Forest fuels are drying and there is an increased risk of surface fires starting. Carry out any forest activities with caution.
High: Forest fuels are very dry and the fire risk is serious. New fires may start easily, burn vigorously, and challenge fire suppression efforts. Extreme caution must be used in any forest activities. Open burning and industrial activities may be restricted.
Extreme: Extremely dry forest fuels and the fire risk is very serious. New fires will start easily, spread rapidly, and challenge fire suppression efforts. General forest activities may be restricted, including open burning, industrial activities and campfires.
Restrictions based on Fire Danger rating
*with valid burn permit
**determined on a case-by-case basis by the Fire Chief
- Download a PDF of Emergency Contact Info Cards for your Household Emergency Plan
- Volunteer Fire Department Membership Application
- 2012 Bowen Island Fire Rescue Annual Report
- Community Wildfire Protection Plan
- Home Owners Fire Smart Manual
- Managing Fire Risk in the Bowen Island Municipality
- FireSmart Protecting your Community from Wildfire
- Backyard & Industrial Burning - A Guide to Category 2 Open Fires
- Emergency Preparedness Guide for People with Disabilities/Special Needs
- Firewise Guide to Landscape and Construction
- Recommended Precautions for Water and Food Affected by Fire Retardants
- Bowen Island Municipality Emergency Management Plan, April, 2007
- Bowen Island Municipality Emergency Information Response Plan, April, 2007